There is a great need for courageous men to lay down their lives in imitation of Jesus Christ and humbly follow in the monastic way of life. It is a life of conversion, but one that leads to a deep, abiding peace and communion with God. If you sense that the Holy Spirit is leading you to explore monastic life, then I invite you to consider if God is calling you to Conception Abbey.
Fr. Paul made his monastic profession in 2006 and was ordained to the priesthood in 2013. In addition to being the monastic Vocation Director, he serves as the Director of Spiritual Formation for Conception Seminary College and editor of Tower Topics.
Fr. Paul Sheller, OSB | Vocation Director
email@example.com | (660) 944-2857
Who are we?
We, the monks of Conception Abbey, are a group of Roman Catholic monks—priests and brothers—who seek the Kingdom of God by:
- Following the Rule of St. Benedict.
- Living in community under the leadership of an abbot;
- Embracing vows of obedience, stability, and fidelity to the monastic way of life.
What do we do?
We live out the Benedictine motto Ora et Labora (Prayer and Work) by:
- Offering the Eucharist and chanting the Liturgy of the Hours each day in service to the Church and the world;
- Personally seeking God in lectio divina and individual prayer;
- Forming and educating candidates for the diocesan priesthood and the diaconate;
- Welcoming guests and conducting retreats to let them share in our life of prayer;
- Sharing our faith through the creation and distribution of Christian greeting cards and religious gifts;
- Ministering to the wider Church in parishes and chaplaincies.
Where are we going?
- We are moving into the future as a growing and thriving community in service to the Church and the world.
- We strive to challenge and support each other on our pilgrimage towards everlasting life.
Discern a monastic vocation at Conception Abbey during a Monastic Experience Retreat. We invite men who are healthy, joyful, and generous with their talents, who desire to live in community, and most importantly, who desire holiness to explore our monastery more closely.
Upcoming Monastic Experience Retreats
March 11-13, 2022
April 14-17, 2022
These retreats are for single Catholic men, ages 18-35, interested in religious life. If one of these dates doesn’t work, we can work together to schedule a personal visit that best suits your schedule.
Please contact Fr. Paul Sheller, OSB, at (660) 944-2857 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
Men discerning monastic life meet online via Zoom weekly for six sessions to connect and discuss helpful principles of discernment. In these sessions, they receive personal attention, prayer support, and accountability. The group brings men discerning monastery life together through the use of technology to establish a sense of community. The members develop bonds, share their fears, ask their questions, and offer their reflections in an encouraging environment. Gathering men together in this group gives a specific time and space to discern their vocation and have the reassurance that they are not the only ones considering monastic life. Please contact Fr. Paul Sheller, OSB, at (660) 944-2857 or email@example.com.
It is important in your prayer to allow the Holy Spirit to guide and direct you in your discernment. Listening to the Holy Spirit, and the many ways God speaks to us is essential to discerning your vocation.