There is a great need for courageous men to lay down their lives in imitation of Jesus Christ and humbly follow in the monastic way of life. It is a life of conversion, but one that leads to a deep, abiding peace and communion with God. We are looking for Roman Catholic men, ages 18-35, who desire prayer and community life, an appreciation for the Psalms and Sacred Scriptures, and silence and simplicity of life. We seek men with integrity, intelligence, and initiative. If you sense God might be leading you to monastic life, then I invite you to contact me and let me help you discern Conception Abbey.
Fr. Paul made his monastic profession in 2006 and was ordained to the priesthood in 2013. He serves as Abbey Vocation Director and Director of Spiritual Formation for Conception Seminary College.
Fr. Paul Sheller, OSB | Vocation Director
email@example.com | (660) 944-2857
Who are we?
We, the monks of Conception Abbey, are a group of Roman Catholic monks—priests and brothers—who seek the Kingdom of God by:
- Following the Rule of St. Benedict.
- Living in community under the leadership of an abbot;
- Embracing vows of obedience, stability, and fidelity to the monastic way of life.
What do we do?
We live out the Benedictine motto Ora et Labora (Prayer and Work) by:
- Offering the Eucharist and chanting the Liturgy of the Hours each day in service to the Church and the world;
- Personally seeking God in lectio divina and individual prayer;
- Forming and educating candidates for the diocesan priesthood and the diaconate;
- Welcoming guests and conducting retreats to let them share in our life of prayer;
- Sharing our faith through the creation and distribution of Christian greeting cards and religious gifts;
- Ministering to the wider Church in parishes and chaplaincies.
Where are we going?
- We are moving into the future as a growing and thriving community in service to the Church and the world.
- We strive to challenge and support each other on our pilgrimage towards everlasting life.
A Monastic Experience weekend is an opportunity to discern the call to monastic life by visiting Conception Abbey and interacting with the monastic community. During the weekend, you have the opportunity to:
- Pray the Divine Office with the community
- Join the community for meals in the monastic refectory
- Listen to conferences on monastic spirituality and discernment
- Spend time in personal prayer and lectio divina
- Have the opportunity for recreation
We are looking for Roman Catholic men, ages 18-35, who desire prayer and community life, an appreciation for the Psalms and Sacred Scriptures, and silence and simplicity of life. We seek men with integrity, intelligence, and initiative.
If you are discerning monastic life and sense that a weekend like this would be beneficial for you, review the dates and contact Fr. Paul to register or to respond to any questions you may have.
Upcoming Monastic Experience Retreats
December 15-17, 2023
March 8-10, 2024
March 28-31, 2024 (Triduum Experience)
April 26-28, 2024
August 9-11, 2024
Men discerning monastic life meet online via Zoom weekly for six sessions to connect and discuss helpful principles of discernment. In these sessions, you will receive personal attention, prayerful support, and accountability with the goal of assisting you and moving forward your discernment. You will have the opportunity to form a community of brothers who are open to monastic life. The next discernment group will begin January 2024, so please contact Fr. Paul Sheller, OSB, at (660) 944-2857 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
It is important in your prayer to allow the Holy Spirit to guide and direct you in your discernment. Listening to the Holy Spirit and the many ways God speaks to us is essential to discerning your vocation.